DIY Kids Ikea table & chair

Tuesday, September 29, 2015



When Hollie was little we bought her the wooden svala table and chairs from Ikea and over the years it has been drawn all over and stained, as you can see from the Instagram photo below!

A photo posted by Louise (@mymaysunshine) on



I decided to jazz them up and make them pretty but also didn't want to spend too much money on it as it will get drawn on again soon enough! 

With one of the chairs at grandma's, I just had the table and one chair to paint. I decided to paint the table white and the chair pink as the wood was unfinished. They don't sell these any more and the nearest is this table and this chair which are already white. 

I painted the table with a white satin paint from Wilkinsons and then varnished it with a basic clear satin varnish from Wilkinsons too. I just bought small tins of these as didn't want to buy big tins just for this task. 


I thought it would be good to try and match the paint for the wooden chair to the colour of the plastic chair but that was difficult without taking the chair to the shop!  So I went with a pink Candy Cane matt paint from Wilkinsons and then used the same varnish I used on the table. I just bought a tested pot for the chair and it was just enough. 


When I had painted the table, you could still see some of the stains even though I had sanded the table, so I bought an off cut of PVC fabric from Dunelm. As it was an off cut, it was only just wide enough for the table but I didn't want to buy a whole meter, so thought this would do. I used some double sided tape to keep the shorter side from lifting up and used some silver push pins to secure the longer side.





I think it worked out well as I know they will get bashed in no time so didn't want to spend too much time or money on them.

I have a couple of other Ikea items I want to paint so when they have been finished I will show them on the blog. I am on a bit of white paint kick at the moment so who knows what I will end up painting next!

Home Etc


Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Let's Talk Mommy


9 comments

  1. Wow! it turned out too well... looks like brand new now! I'm rubbish at repainting stuff, should really give it a go before deciding to throw stuff. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look brill! I recently painted a little Ikea kids table too and the difference is amazing, and if it gets more pen marks on, well I will just re-paint it! x #HomeEtc Julia @ Rainbeaubelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely lovely and I'm sure will be well loved. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab! We also have those chairs but in blue! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning! I am SO going to do this to the twins awful table and chairs! I could do one pink and one blue! Stunning and the top is very clever. Thanks so much for linking up again and sharing. Jess x #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute and what a great place you have created for her to play and be creative. Love it. Thanks so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't beat a bit of ikea upcycling. Looks great! #Homeetc

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting one of these tables with chairs for Mini R as a xmas present. I'm totally going to copy your idea! Thanks for sharing! #Homeetc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah it all looks so lovely — I bet you're thrilled with it now! Such a difference — and didn't cost too much money or time to do. Gotta love IKEA eh? Thanks so much for linking up to #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one.

Instagram

© My May Sunshine. Design by FCD.